As we enter the Spring Season, we want to wish all our members the best for success. With so many exciting things happening, we are kicking it into high gear!
Please join us for the following *In-Person* Events (details forthcoming and included with your membership):
- April 5, 2023 Notary Regulation Updates with the Maryland Office of the Secretary of State (SEATING IS LIMITED – PLEASE REGISTER ASAP AT THIS LINK)
- May 9, 2023 Dealertrack New Member and Training Event
- June 22, 2023 Chesapeake Bay Trust New Membership Drive Event
- September TBD, 2023 Fall Festival and New Membership Drive with MAEF (Maryland Agricultural Education Fund and the Agricultural License Plate)
- October 17, 2023 MVTA Annual Meeting
If you are a current committee member please email Wendy May at email@example.com if you are able to volunteer for any events. We sincerely appreciate all of our committee volunteers!!!
MVTA Board of Directors:
February 2023 brought some changes to the MVTA with the stepping down of our current Treasurer, Terry Smack. Terry is a co-founder of the MVTA and has committed herself to long term support of our association. We look forward to seeing her at meetings and working alongside her with our committee members. The MVTA is very appreciative of all the hard work and effort provided by Terry.
With this change, the Board of Directors executed an emergency vote to add an interim member to the board. With such a sudden change, our bylaws allow for backfilling the position until a permanent person can be found. It only made sense to offer that position to someone who has been a past board member that has stayed involved in our events and trainings.
The MVTA Board of Directors is proud to announce that Dawn Mathis of Express Auto Tag and Title has accepted an interim position on the board as a general member. Dawn has been very active on the MVTA committees over the last 3 years and has been a long term member of the MVTA since 2013. Thank you, Dawn!
(pictured L to R: Dawn Mathis, Terry Smack, Mirna Osorio, Stephanie Acevedo, Delegate Kathy Szeliga, Beth Caro, Wendy May, Char King)
The MVTA Board is looking to grow. If you are interested in serving, please keep an eye out for the upcoming link to our new online Board Member Application form. We need to fill the following positions:
- General Member
2023 Technology Projects:
We look forward to the remainder of 2023 as we continue our theme of “Moving Forward”. Along with the Board changes we have many changes in the world of title agent technology. Since the rollout of Customer Connect we have started the conversations on better enhancements within our ERT systems. Partnering with our Preferred Vendor, Dealertrack, we are working to supply our members with better computer and system specifications for the fastest processing with the online ERT interface. This project will take the feedback of our members through small group gatherings to demo and test out the equipment that we are using to develop the Modern Title Agent Desk.
This project we hope will bring our members the opportunity to upgrade their technology to work within the systems we have in Maryland. As we grow this project there will be updates shared along the way to include open invites for other members. If you have questions or feedback on this project please email Wendy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This year’s legislative session is moving right along. Though there were no bills entered into drafting this year. we are monitoring and supporting those we favor. The 2023 legislative session has had a number of road bumps but it has been mostly an educational year for many newly appointed seats and positions.
Currently, this is the most important bill we are watching:
- SB705 Vehicle Laws – Certificate of Title – Surviving Spouse
This bill is a common sense bill that is being introduced by MVA. You can read Chrissy Nizer’s written testimony on the Maryland General Assembly website. If this bill passes it will allow a surviving spouse that is not listed on their deceased spouse’s vehicle to be awarded ownership through the current surviving spouse process. This will allow that surviving spouse to apply for the new title at no charge by the MVA and only pay for the registration fees. We will continue to monitor this bill and update as it moves along through the house.
Other Transportation Bills of Note:
- HB0123 Vehicle Laws – HOV Lanes – Plug–In Electric Drive Vehicles
- HB0537 Motor Vehicle Administration -Fines and Fees -Required Notice
- HB0652 (SB0867) Vehicle Laws –Special and Commemorative Registration Plate –Maryland Heroes
- SB0121 (HB1247) More Opportunities for Career–Focused Students Act of 2023
- SB0709 Motor Vehicles -Commercial Driver’s Licenses and Instructional Permits – Revisions
- SB0748 Vehicle Laws -Military Vehicles -Registration and Operation
- SB0861 Consumer Protection- Scanning or Swiping Identification Cards and Driver’s Licenses – Prohibition
- SB0866 (HB1257) Special Vehicle Registration Plates -Chesapeake Bay Trust and Maryland Agricultural Education Foundation – Appropriation
Shredding Poll (also posted on our Facebook Group):
We are in search of a vendor to provide document shredding services to our members. If you are not on Facebook and can provide input, please email your answers to Wendy by March 21st:
- How many employees do you have, including yourself?
- Do you have a current shredding vendor?
- If yes, how many containers? ______ How often are they emptied? _____
- If no, what is your current process for document destruction?
- How important is maintaining security and compliance in your organization?
- Are you familiar with what items relating to your business are deemed confidential?
- Do you have a routine proof of destruction? (i.e., log book, certificate of destruction, etc.)
Thank you in advance for your feedback – we strive to get the best pricing for our members!
Did You Know? The more you interact with us the more you will get from your membership. Your voice is important as we grow and shape our industry so get involved and reach out to us anytime!